Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Day 16- Love intercedes

Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers. —3 John 2

The jist of today's dare is accepting that you can not change your spouse (or anyone really). OUCH! That's a tough pill to swallow.

"Insanity has been defined as trying the same thing over and over, bu expecting different results". Hmmmmm.....sound familiar? I am INSANE for thinking that me nagging B to do XYZ is eventually going to get through his thick skull to the point where he says "Hey I need to do XYZ to make S happy".

Has your nagging been working? It may get your spouse to load the dishwasher or walk the dog just to get you to stop nagging. But it will be done with the wrong intentions, and with bad feelings. When I nag B I make hm feel like he is a bad spouse. Not really protecting my treasure's heart that way....am I? (BTW after Day 15 I have started referring to B as "my treasure", you can all barf now).

So what can we do when things are not working and getting out of hand? I always like to remember that beautiful poem "Footprints" especially the line "It was then that I carried you".
Do you feel like quitting on your marriage at times? I am guilty of that. In fact, I have been married before B...and did quit. But Jesus says to pray rather than quitting (Luke 18:1). The book emphasizes that prayer can bring the calm in the eye of a storm. Do you need a major breakthrough? Prayer can make the difference. Read the last blog post for proof.

From the book:
"God is sovereign. He does things His way. He's not a genie in a lamp that submits to your every wish. But He does love you and desires an intimate relationship with you. This doesn't happen apart from prayer.
Have you ever wondered why God gives you overwhelming insight into your spouse's hidden faults? Do you really think it is for endless nagging? No, it is for effective kneeling. One of the most loving thing you can ever do for your spouse is to pray for them. NO ONE knows better how to pray for your mate than you. Turn your complaints into prayers and watch the Master work while you keep your hands clean."

"Ask, and it shall be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you" -Matthew 7:7

TODAY’S DARE
Begin praying today for your spouse’s heart. Pray for three specific areas where you desire for God to work in your spouse’s life and in your marriage.

No comments: