Nothing irritates others as quickly as being rude. The bottom line is that genuine love minds its manners. Embracing this concept can add fresh air to your relationship.
There are 2 main reasons why people are rude: ignorance and selfishness.
Test yourself with these questions:
- How does your spouse feel about the way you speak ad act around them?
- How does your behavior affect your mate's sense of worth and self-esteem?
- Would your spouse say you're a blessing, or that you're condescending and embarrassing?
If you are thinking that your spouse-not you-is the one who needs work in this area, you're likely suffering from a bad case of ignorance, with a secondary condition of selfishness. Remember, love is not rude but lifts you to a higher standard.
Do you wish you spouse would stop doing things that bother you? Then it's time to stop doing things that bother them.
The three rules of etiquette for married folk:
1. Treat your mate the way you want to be treated.
2. No double standards.
3. Consider what your spouse has already asked of you. If in doubt, ask.
Ask your spouse to tell you 3 things that cause him/her to become uncomfortable or irritated with you. You must do so without attacking them of justifying your behavior. This is from their perspective only!